Richard Yu told CNBC that its launch of the Matebook device had been indefinitely put on hold. Richard Yu said that he can not provide the tentative date of the launch as it all depends on the time frame in which Huawei will remain blacklisted by the US.
A later launch was dependent on how long the Entity List would be there, he said.
Huawei relies on USA technology for significant parts of its consumer products. "He acknowledged that, if Huawei is on the blacklist for a long time, the laptop will not be able to be launched". Shortly after, the Commerce Department added Huawei and 70 affiliates to the so-called Entity List.
He said that being on the US Entity List had caused the cancellation.
The Global Times-which is part of China's state-run media-published a story disputing some of the reporting about the laptop launch. The product was set for a reveal at the ongoing CES Asia show in Shanghai this week, but trade sanctions from the U.S. government are restricting Huawei's ability to use American products like Microsoft software and Intel processors. But The Information reports today (June 12) that the Chinese company is suspending that launch, with no new release date on the horizon.
Intel is also remaining quiet on the matter, though reports claim it recently joined ARM in barring Huawei from using its hardware. The company has reportedly been working on an Android alternative - compatible with apps for Google's smartphone and tablet platform, but free of the licensing headaches - in strict secrecy for the past seven years, based on concerns that worsening relations between the United States and China could leave Huawei trapped in an awkward position between the two.