The director, who was taken off of the project after being fired for offensive old tweets previous year, was brought back onto the project months ago, according to Deadline on Friday (March 15). The filmmaker will go into production on the movie after completing work on Suicide Squad 2.
But Gunn's dismissal was passionately protested by many, including the "Guardians" cast.
Gunn had been targeted by conservative activists - in part because of his vocal criticism of President Trump - who resurfaced old tweets in which he made light of pedophilia and molestation. He has been rehired to direct the third movie after he was sacked in July previous year. "I think a lot of people who even made the decisions, they realized they made a harsh, rash decision that was probably not the best decision", he said.
After he was sacked as director, Gunn's next project became writing and directing The Suicide Squad, starring Idris Elba, for Warner Bros. and DC.
Gunn earlier apologized for the tweets, which he called "unfortunate efforts to be provocative".
That's the word from Deadline, which says it has confirmed the news with Marvel and Gunn.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 apparently serves as an epic conclusion to the story that began with the first part in 2014.
The cast was very supportive of their director with Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista all signing an open letter to get the director back. All I can do now, beyond offering my honest and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse.
What About James Gunn and Suicide Squad?