"We will reconvene when our respective schedules permit".
North Korea has for years pursued nuclear and missile programs in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions but the bellicose rhetoric from both Pyongyang and Trump that raised fears of war has eased this year.
FILE - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, right, and Kim Yong Chol, a North Korean senior ruling party official, arrive for a lunch at the Park Hwa Guest House in Pyongyang, North Korea, July 7, 2018. That effort has stalled, with North Korea refusing to declare the details of its nuclear capabilities or, so far, allow global inspectors into the country to verify claims that is has dismantled certain sites. "I'd love to take the sanctions off, but they (North Korea) have to be responsive, too", Trump said on Wednesday.
The top USA military officer said on Monday (Nov 5) that the United States would have to start making changes to its military posture on the Korean peninsula over time if talks with North Korea advance.
At a White House press conference, the president said Pompeo's meeting with Kim Yong Chol will be rescheduled.
North Korea is getting increasingly angry at the United States, as talks are deadlocked and tensions between the two countries are on the rise, a source familiar with the discussions told CNN. "We're in no rush".
Kim Yong-chol is a general, a former top intelligence chief and right-hand man to the North Korean leader. -North Korea dialogue, sought to play down the talks delay. -North Korea negotiations have completely broken down or "lost their momentum" because of the postponement.
Last week, the North's foreign ministry threatened to return to Pyongyang's former policy of "byeongjin", which calls for simultaneously developing its nuclear program and economy, if the us did not start lifting sanctions.
South Korea's presidential office said the government would later announce its stance over the postponed meeting, but South Korean news agency Yonhap said South Korean officials were notified by the USA of the postponement before it was announced in Washington.
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-Wha confirmed during a parliamentary questioning Thursday that it was Pyongyang's decision to pull out of the meeting.