John Cena isn't the only WWE superstar who is refusing to work the upcoming Crown Jewel PPV in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Female competitors were barred from competing, and the event was used as a vehicle of propaganda promoting bin Salman's regime, with Cena publicly complimenting the leadership for the opportunity to partake in the event.
Should that happen, the WWE will have to replace two stars, not just one, thanks to its controversial decision to stick it out in Saudi Arabia.
WWE recently made the decision that it would continue as planned with Crown Jewel, which will air Friday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, despite the controversy surrounding the suspicious death of Washington Post reporter Jamal Khashoggi.
WWE said on Monday Night Raw that wrestler Bobby Lashley - who was managed by now-President Donald Trump during his 2007 Wrestlemania match - will step in for the West Newbury, Massachusetts native at the event. WWE reportedly started making other plans regarding the match last week.
Corbin told Lashley that he qualified for Crown Jewel, which will be held at King Saud University Stadium in Riyadh, for his performance in Monday night's bout.
"What an honor and a privilege it is to be allowed to be a part of an event like today", Cena said in April. "Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the Riyadh event as scheduled".
WWE has still not addressed Daniel's request to be left out of the event and, at time of this posting, are still openly advertising Bryan vs AJ Styles for the WWE Championship. I want to send a genuine thank you to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. for its unmatched hospitality that extends far beyond this evening. WWE Hall of Famer Hulk Hogan said in an interview last week with the Orlando Sentinel that he was "looking forward to going to Saudi Arabia with the WWE".