An Egyptian court on Saturday upheld death sentences against 75 people, in one of the largest mass trials since the 2011 uprising, and gave a five-year jail term to an award-winning photojournalist.
The mass trial relates to a Muslim Brotherhood protest in Cairo's Rabaa Square that was broken up by the security forces.
Death sentences have been handed down to hundreds of his political opponents on charges such as belonging to an illegal organisation or planning to carry out an attack.
Those sentenced to death include senior Brotherhood leaders Essam al Erian and Mohamed Beltagi and prominent preacher Safwat Higazi.
There have been initially 739 defendant tried in this case among which were leading member Mohamed Badie who was sentenced among 47 others also on Saturday to life in prison. Osama Morsi, the son of the detained Mohamed Morsi and 21 others were jailed for 10 years.
Abu Zeid, widely known as Shawkan, who earlier this year received UNESCO's World Freedom Prize, is however expected to walk free soon, his lawyer said.
Rights groups have criticised the trial for including many peaceful protesters and journalists.
Supporters of the Brotherhood had staged protests and sit-ins in the weeks after Mr Sisi, then the army chief, arrested President Morsi and took over the government.
He is due for release within a few days after already having spent five years in jail, his lawyer Karim Abdelrady said, according to the same reports.
Reporters Without Borders (RSF) ranks Egypt 161st out of 180 countries on its press freedom index and says that at least 31 journalists are now detained in the Arab world's most populous nation.
"The death penalty should never be an option under any circumstances".
"The Egyptian authorities should be ashamed", Najia Bounaim, Amnesty International's North Africa campaigns director, said in a statement.
Hundreds more were killed in street clashes with police over the months that followed and mass arrests were made.
The rights watchdog called for a retrial in front of an "impartial court".
Human rights groups have criticized the trial as well as the security response back in 2013, blaming the government for the killings.
Brutal clashes between the Egyptian security forces and the protests against Mohamed Morsi's removal lead to the killing of hundreds and thousands were injured.